Thursday, September 17, 2009

internal hub cvt

Down the road (no pun intended) my hope is to install internal hub transmissions in the rear wheels of the vehicle. Kind of like those old "Sturmy Archer" 3 speed hubs that were very popular and seem to be making a bit of a comeback. The more I thought about it, I decided to come up with a cvt (continuously variable transmission) internal hub transmission. Cvts are being used in hybrid vehicles now like the Prius. They are very efficient and shifting is seamlessly smooth. So I spent all day Wednesday designing one. I am very happy with the results, and after doing a little search of patents, I don't think it has been invented yet. This internal hub cvt may overshadow the vehicle invention. My challenge is to not get to distracted though and keep on keepin on with the vehicle prototype.

3 comments:

David Hembrow said...

Have you heard of the Nu Vinci hub ? It's a CVT type thing which already exists. I've seen bikes in the shops here with them fitted.

It looks a bit huge and heavy, but I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to ride a bike fitted with it.

Gear hubs are extremely popular here especially for town bikes as it makes enclosing the chain easier, so leads to far higher reliability.

James Graves said...

Thanks David, Yes I checked out the Nu Vinci and the patents associated with that type of cvt. I found there are three main types of cvt's; split pulley, toroidial, and the type that Nu Vinci uses with tilting spheres. Mine is different from those, simpler lighter weight and likely less expensive. The main issue is calculating the friction so it doesn't slip.

Unknown said...

U need to calculate the friction in different conditions (eg under differents loads).
I think yuo can use Ansys to calculate it.